American Newcomer

Hello all, I joined yesterday and thought i’d introduce myself. I am living in the United States and decided to learn Welsh a while ago and never got around to it, a friend of mine started learning Manx which sparked my interest again in Cymraeg. At somepoint I’d like to make the time to learn Scots Gaelic because I’m Scottish. My name is Jaclyn and I hope this is the right place to place this? Thanks all.

9 Likes

Hello Jaclyn, and welcome to the forum!

1 Like

Helo @Jaclyn ac croeso mawr yr fforwm.

Welcome to the forum in deed. Now we’re all eager to hear about your learning journey and if there’s something you’d stumbled in here we are to help.

Does your friend learn with us (SSi). If not, here’s Manx course too for learning. There are 2 levels: 1st has 10 lessons and 2nd has 8 as it isn’t entirely finished yet. So welcome your friend too! :slight_smile:

You never know what future brings. Some courses are in the making already but not Scots Gaelic at this time unfortunately but who knows, maybe in the next raound we’d be packed with it too. :slight_smile: Stay tunned. :slight_smile:

Hwyl!
Tatjana

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @Jaclyn! I’m in the US, too (Northeast) - there are a bunch of American learners here. Don’t ever hesitate to ask any questions you have - there are lots of friendly, helpful people here happy to help :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Croeso!

2 Likes

Croeso (Welcome) @Jaclyn ! I’m learning in Canada. We’re a friendly and helpful bunch here. I’m sure you’ll enjoy SSi. Which stream are you learning - Northern or Southern?

2 Likes

Hi Jaclyn, and a very warm welcome to the forum - I’ll look forward to hearing how your Welsh goes… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@tatjana I’m not sure if She knows about the course but I will let them know and I’ll keep a look out for new courses :slight_smile:
@AnnaC thank you and I’m in the North east as well
@margaretwerdermann I just started the course yesterday, I’m learning the Northern course and I’m on lesson 5 currently.
@aran thank you for welcoming me :slight_smile:

6 Likes

MMMMmmmm…aged crone of a dragon here, Croeso, of course, but I decided to start again by doing the Northern course as a New Year Resolution and was not dispieased with myself for managing a Challenge each day (started just before New Year). Now I feel I have been crawling!! Ironically, I am in exile in Argyll, Scotland and there is a lot of Gaelic spoken on the Isles near here! I just marvel at how it is spelled! Also, we have the same name, but I hate mine because my snobby Mam, in 1941, spelled it the French way (I think after some spy or actress). So, from Jacqueline to Jaclyn, not appreciating my chances to learn gaelic and envying your learning speed and name, Croeso…and I am rooting for you! Honest! You’ll be fluent in no time!

2 Likes

Croeso hefyd. (welcome also). Great place to learn. Steve from Awstralia

1 Like

I’m learning Northern, too. Let me know if there’s anything I can do to help. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Jaclyn and also everyone else! I have been meaning to post to introduce myself, too, but I guess I keep shying away from it. Your post encouraged me so I will tag along here. I’m from Canada and I’ve been learning off and on the last few months using SSi…it was my appreciation of how good SSi is that made me want to join the forum! If you need any resources in the future on Scottish Gaelic, let me know, as that was the first language I started to learn a few years ago. I’m still a long way off from becoming fluent - trying to balance it between work and graduate school and now a busy toddler and graduate school has made it a challenge - but really I know it’s just excuses. What strikes me about Welsh learning (especially SSi) is how good the digital resources are to learn on one’s own. I was almost shocked to see that after a handful of the lessons, I could speak and understand basic Welsh sentences with greater ease than the months and months it took me in Gaelic. I also love how Welsh is a phonetic language and so regular with pronunciation. My only trouble is reading and writing…I guess because I did both reading, writing and spoken in Gaelic, I feel comfortable reading and learning to write…but I have no clue with Welsh just going through the podcasts…so I don’t feel confident to write anything here but diolch a hwyl!!

3 Likes

Croeso @lcmckenzie! Welcome, and don’t be shy! Sounds like you are doing great with languages despite leading a very busy life :slight_smile: Keep us posted, we love to hear how people are doing!

1 Like

Anyone with a toddler who manages to get anything else at all done is, in my opinion, deserving of several gold stars :star2:

And welcome to the forum… :slight_smile:

1 Like

@henddraig It’s always nice to meet another Jackie! :slight_smile: Thank you for welcoming me and I’m rooting for you as well.
@lcmckenzie Welcome to the forums, if you ever need to talk I’m here. Maybe one of these days we can exchange notes on Scots and Welsh.

2 Likes