Advice on mutation after i

To be honest, I find it FAR more annoying to be told to “have a nice day” by a vending machine!

Hi Susan - this isn’t a helpful post, because saying that the original post from Frances is offensive is NOT being polite and respectful to her.

If you’re offended by something on the forum, that’s what the report button is for - and moderators will always then look at and deal with whatever the issue is.

But if individual forum users start telling each other what they don’t like about each other’s posts, the very special atmosphere of friendly support in this community can very quickly be badly damaged.

It’s already clear that Frances feels uncomfortable about this thread, and has altered the original post (which, for posterity’s sake, I didn’t see as being particularly offensive, although it could be taken the wrong way, which she and I have chatted about).

And now you’re going to feel uncomfortable about this! See how quickly this sort of stuff can escalate?

So please, everyone - use the report button any time you feel the need, but please leave moderating to the moderators… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I agree with you. There are some cultures that use these words and others who measure politeness in different ways. I’m not going to labour this point as this thread was supposed to be about mutations and I’ve asked for it to be closed down. Thanks to those who helped me with my mutation question.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I second this. Thanks

Hi Aran,

I don’t feel uncomfortable I feel very upset. I have not said anything bad about anyone so I don’t understand why I’m getting a public “telling off” while your chats with Frances remain private. I felt I needed to explain to Frances why I reported her post as it was clear that both you and her thought it was about her views on the differing levels of politeness between the English and the Welsh (which I also disagree with btw) when, in fact, it was her unpleasant comments about my fellow shop assistants that I thought extremely rude and unfair. Perhaps it would be a good idea, when someone flags a post as inappropriate, to also have a box where they can explain briefly why they have done so. Otherwise how can a moderator fairly moderate when they don’t even know what the problem is?

Anyway, obviously, some people on this forum are more equal than others, and their feelings are more important than mine, so it would be pointless for me to say any more.

Hi Susan
I really don’t want to drag this out any more, but it was clear to me why you flagged my post as you commented on it clearly as to your views. I then went and changed the post to remove the reference to shop assistants altogether, as well as to nationality, to abide by the forum rules. You can send Aran a private message if you wish, which is what I did. There is no conspiracy here. Also, when you flag a post, you should be given the option to say why you have flagged it… I was on the one occasion I flagged a post. I am sorry you got so upset by it, I too have been very upset by this whole exchange of views and in this sort of situation it’s really hard as everyone feels misunderstood. I wish you well in your journey learning Cymraeg. Frances.

2 Likes

Hi Frances, my last post was meant for Aran so I’ll await his reply if any. I have already thanked you for removing/rewriting your original post which I flagged. I also wish you well on your learning Cymraeg journey. Susan

4 Likes

I’m afraid that’s not the case, Susan.

Every single one of the above quotes is in breach of our forum-wide request for people to be polite and friendly at all times.

You reported the post that you didn’t like - that’s fine, and what we encourage people to do.

I then - in public - gave Frances a ‘steering’ comment - to which she responded positively. She then contacted me privately to ask a few more questions about how best to adapt her post, which I welcomed.

I followed up with a ‘moving on’ post in this thread.

Then you posted - in public - with the above quotes - all of which are in breach of our guidelines. I don’t know why - after seeing that your report had lead to obvious moderation and editing in this thread - you felt the need to comment directly, but because you did, I responded to you in public (as I did originally with Frances).

My response to you is not a ‘telling off’ - it is an explanation - that your direct public response to Frances was not helpful, and why.

And in your latest reply, you continue to breach forum guidelines - referring to ‘unpleasant comments’, calling them ‘extremely rude’ - these are all direct personal attacks on Frances which we will simply not accept on this forum.

No, we don’t play favourites.

ANYONE who speaks to or about another person in the way in which you have spoken to and about Frances will be moderated.

I’m sad to see the way in which you’ve spoken in this thread, because I have for a long time considered you a warm and friendly member of the community - I was particularly impressed by the careful way in which you discussed your referendum vote, where it was clear you were making a conscious effort to abide by the forum rules (so I know you’re keenly aware of how much they matter to us and to the community).

I hope you’re going to be able to move on from this, accept that the way you’ve spoken in this thread is not what we want to see, and continue in your normal, friendly manner… :slight_smile:

To all other readers: do please report any posts that make you feel unhappy - that’s a key part of how we keep this a welcoming and comfortable community for everyone.

Once you’ve reported a post, please don’t engage in subsequent discussion on that topic with the poster - leave it to the moderation team, and please trust that we have taken your report seriously (because we always, always do). :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I come originally from Gelli in the Rhondda Valley. So, doe that mutate to Elli?

1 Like

The ‘G goes to God’ but generously comes back once the job is done?..

Well as far as I remember*, place names beginning with G are an exception when it comes to mutations. They do mutate nasally but don’t mutate softly.
*i.e. I may not have remembered correctly, so verification welcome! :wink:

However, I think the correct form of Gelli in Welsh is Y Gelli, in which case the G wouldn’t mutate at all anyway because the Y is in the way - dwi’n byw yn Y Gelli / Dwi’n dod o’r Gelli / Croeso i’r Gelli.

2 Likes

Ooo, I didn’t know that - thank you.

Rich :slight_smile:

I’m hoping you get some verification on this, also wrt written as well as spoken. I find monosyllables beginning with g- particularly odd: ramadeg for gramadeg feels mostly OK, in the right sort of context, but Roeg rather than Groeg for ‘Greek’ feels strange. I was looking something up on Wicipedia at one point and saw Roman Gaul mutated to Âl, too…

(On the other hand, I think I tend instinctively to try to sneak a Spanish/Greek-style γ-sound back in there in speech when it’s a word like (γ)ramadeg that’s familar from other languages, which must make my accent – in that particular respect – about 1000-odd years out of date. Nobody seems to notice, so I probably just sound like I do really weird rs…)

Indeed, Y Gelli! Diolch!

Siaron, what about a mutation after N for D? And on the same note, let’s say the place is called, for arguments sake, Dilys (it[s not… _,) and I wanted to say Dilys Hill, would I say Bryn Dilys (plus whatever mustation) or is there a more normal name for a hill? This is a streetname by the way. Thanks

1 Like

I’m not quite sure what you mean by a mutation after N for D - could you give me an example?

Bryn Dilys is fine for Dilys Hill - there’s no mutation because bryn is a masculine noun. There are other words for ‘hill’, but bryn is probably the most common, although for a street, you could equally use allt - although allt is a feminine noun so it would be Allt Ddilys in that case. (allt can mean slope rather than the whole hill).

3 Likes

That’s really helpful, thanks Siaron

1 Like