A total beginner!

Hi, I’ve just signed up for the 6 minutes a day course. I’m a total beginner, English born and bred but have now moved across the border into Wales. I do have some Welsh ancestry so like to think this will somehow help! My main reason for learning Welsh is that I am a Teaching Assistant who works for a supply agency. I had no idea how much Welsh is spoken in schools and I feel so left out. I’m determined to learn and join in. It will also be fab to be able to practice such a lovely language with new Welsh speaking friends and have a go in shops etc. I have to say I’m nervous about starting as a complete beginner (my Welsh friends get great enjoyment out of the way I pronounce Welsh place names… I’m getting better I hope). Wish me luck!!! Xx

8 Likes

Welcome, Mandy! Don’t be nervous, the SSiW course will have you speaking in no time, and it’s fun! We are a friendly bunch here, so never hesitate to come ask questions, and please let us know how you are doing! Pob lwc/Good luck! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Pob lwc Mandy. You will get lots of support and opportunities to practice. Just move at your own pace and don’t be discouraged if some people in the same week seem more advanced as they may have a previous knowledge of Welsh from school, family or classes. Most important of all enjoy the course.

3 Likes

Terrific attitude, Mandy! Good luck with the course, and a very warm welcome to the forum… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am Welsh and was brought up in Cardiff with no Welsh at all. I don’t know how much you know about Wales but, when I was growing up, there was (and still is) a singer called Max Boyce. He sang a song about miners with a chorus of ‘Duw (God), it’s hard, Duw it’s hard, it’s harder than they will ever know’. Of course it was about the difficulties of mining and I don’t want to undermine that but, with Welsh, boy, do I sometimes feel the same. However, from no Welsh to regular Welsh only conversations I feel I have got there. Sometimes fun, sometimes a struggle but, oh so worth it. Well done even now, and it will be great when you suddenly become (perhaps without really knowing it) a Welsh speaker. Thank you for sharing why and how you want to go forward.

5 Likes