A Southerner trying the Northern Course :D

As I mentioned to @aran last night. I’ve been loosely doing some of the new Northern lessons to tide me over until I give up the Welsh for a week in December to do a bit of a mad project!

The logic being although yeah, everyone understands everyone - I’ve got a load of Northern friends here in Aber so I thought it would be nice to throw them a “taflu” instead of a “twyled” (Sorry - no idea how to spell “twyled”).

Highlights so far:

• Answering “fe” every single time I’m asked to answer “fo” (Old habits never die!!!)
  • Answering “dwedais i” or “gwedais i” every single time I’m asked to answer “deudais i” (I didn’t realise how stuck these things get in your head. I mean I can’t even do impressions of Northerners without saying “wedais i”.
  • Sounding like a bad ‘Geordie/Newcastle’ impersonator ALL of the time.
  • Did I mention that I am mixing “moyn” with “isho” ALL of the time too :slight_smile:

It’s really quite fun! I’d recommend everyone having a go of “the other course” at least once!!

9 Likes

I think I’m going to do a bit of this too - the end of the Southern Level three came too soon, and I’m feeling bereft!
I have a deeply awful Geordie accent, so that should come in handy. :fearful:

2 Likes

To be honest, the Geordie accent will probably help!

I just sound like I’m doing an offensive impersonation of a “cartoon version” of a Geordie :smiley:

A lot of fun! I find I’m making a LOT of mistakes… I wonder why that is? :D:D:D

3 Likes

I’ll bet you’re making fewer mistakes than you think, you’re just actively looking for them :slight_smile:

I tried this too a few weeks ago too with a similar experience. Did you have any trouble with “angen” rather than “mae eisiau…”?

2 Likes

I’m the same in reverse but I have noticed that fe is replacing fo now! Dammit @Iestyn and @Deborah-SSi seem to be rubbing off on me!

4 Likes

“angen” no, admittedly because i’ve come to use that in general since moving to Aberystwyth :slight_smile:

everything else - yes! (except efo, because i’ve been using that too!)

2 Likes

I feel your pain. :smile:

1 Like

Come towards the light… move towards the light…

:slight_smile:

10 Likes

Yes I find the northern version interesting because some time ago I followed the programme "talk about welsh " by Acen

2 Likes

To be fair, to my non-expert ear, the “o” and “a” sounds seem to be shared, possibly because broad Geordie hasn’t been affected by the southern vowel shift.

Although I no longer have a Geordie accent,I love it when we learn words that are common to Welsh and Geordie. Three I can think of are wal, wac (for “a walk”) and of course: na.

1 Like