A new shiny look for the Spanish side of things

I hate to be the lone dissenter but someone has to do it. :wink:

I find the navigation to be very awkward. Sure, getting to the first lesson is easy, but after that you need to scroll to the bottom, hit the link for ā€˜More Challengesā€™, scroll to the next challenge link, and click.

This will become very tedious very quickly. I find the old way to be much more functional. Navigation should be in plain sight at the top or left side.

If you REALLY want to keep this interface, here are some suggestions:
After completing a challenge, be able to mark it completed so the next time you visit, the next challenge is already selected for you. Also, a way to reset this if someone wants to revisit old material.

On the Tabs for each level, have navigation indicators to indicate they are collapsable/expandable buttons. Maybe something along these lines.

2 Likes

Good input, Craig, diolch yn fawr :sunny:

We do have the code for marking a lesson as complete, and are going to be doing that kind of stuff, but as you say the navigation still needs to work for people who want to revisit. Nice idea about the buttons, diolch :sunny:

Iā€™m keen for the ā€˜Challengesā€™ link at the top to go straight to the lesson list (with collapsable/expandable buttons as you suggest) - thereā€™s some trickiness to figure out there because of how the top bar needs to work across all the languages, but Iā€™m sure weā€™ll be able to crack it, and at that stage I think itā€™ll come together pretty well.

I think we might be able to design a little list to sit under the ā€˜See all challengesā€™, too, which I think will help - so expect to see fine tuning over the next couple of weeks - and input from someone who doesnā€™t like the navigation is hugely, hugely useful for us, so once again, diolch o galon :star2:

1 Like

Okay, weā€™ve got a few little bits of fine-tuning in here now (largely following the thoughts from @craigf so diolch yn fawr iawn again Craig!) - and I think weā€™re now pretty close to moving the Welsh side of things over to this design.

So what do you think? Are we ready? Or do you have any concerns?! :sunny:

I think itā€™s a big improvement. One thing I would add is an easy way to get back to the landing page after going to the FAQ or Account settings. If you click Challenges, you get the menu but it would be easier to have a direct link back to the start page.

Good call, hadnā€™t spotted that - diolch, Craig! It should be the SSiSpanish link - so I think we can move the ā€˜other languagesā€™ info stuff to be under the ā€˜Challengesā€™ popupā€¦ :sunny:

Iā€™m on an iPhone 5S in Safari and Iā€™ve noticed a couple formatting things.

First one isnā€™t critical, itā€™s just more annoying than anything for me. If you have the Level 1 list of challenges expanded, scroll down, then click to expand the Level 2 list, it collapses Level 1 and leaves you at the bottom of the list of challenges for Level 2. All you really have to do is scroll back up, but for some reason it bothered me to be staring at Challenge 16 when I was expecting to see Challenge 1.

The second is a more of a thing. When I went to the FAQ page, this is what I saw:

:grimacing:

I didnā€™t get a chance to poke around and see if anywhere else is affected by this issue. Iā€™ll explore a bit more tomorrow and let you know if I find anything else!

It looks messed up too, on Chrome on my phone

Thanks very much, folks - theseā€™ll go to the top of the list :sunny:

The ā€˜open/closeā€™ thing on the lesson lists is a problem with the framework weā€™re using, but Ifanā€™s looking for a workaround - the FAQ page ugliness is a new and very valuable catch :star: :star2: