A new polling tool being developed in Wales

Ooh, I’ve just been given a beta invitation to a new polling tool that’s (wow, hooray!) being developed in Wales… :sunny: :star: :star2:

And it genuinely looks really rather lovely - as you’ll see if you spend thirty seconds or so doing my first test poll:

http://app.doopoll.co/poll/YhFo2KATWBMpAHYLB

4 Likes

Very nice:)
And made me think about my priorities for 2016, diolch yn fawr!

1 Like

This was fun! Next please … :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ooh, thank you everyone! Lovelier and lovelier. I’m particularly impressed at whoever is going to be saying Merry Christmas in ‘all of the above’… :sunny:

1 Like

lovely and painless and impressive that 3 per cent are going to say Merry Christmas in every Celtic language!!
Oh how I wish I could.

Justin

1 Like

I didn’t actually think it looked ‘lovely’, quite OK, simple, clean… but not lovely!! A bit more colour might have helped!!
Not being one of the multipolyglots…
Nadolig llawen!!!

I just realized that 3 per cent of 38 respondents means that ONE respondent is able to say Merry Christmas in a zillion Celtic tongues.

So who is hiding their light under a bushel - pray tell,

Justin

1 Like

Nadolig Llawen - Cymraeg
Nadelik Lowen! - Kernowek
Nedeleg laouen! - Brezhoneg
Nollick Ghennal! – Manx
Nollaig chridheil – Scottish Gaelic
Nollaig shona dhuit! – Irish Gaelic

Now you can, too:)

Well, anyway, I hope my desire to be able to say one sentence in every Celtic language hasn’t made anyone believe I’m actually able/intending to be fluent in all of them!

4 Likes

Shoot for the stars - particularly as you are named after them. Very inspiring … I’ll be happy though to be able to say Merry Christmas in Russian.

Justin

I think I will limit myself to Cymraeg and Kernowek for now:)
In Russian we say “Счастливого Рождества” (the combination “СЧ” is read as “Щ” so phonetically it will be [щаслИвава РаждествА].
Alternatively, you can say "С Рождеством Христовым! [C RozhdestvOm HristOvym!]
This is an old postcard, in pre-revolutionary orthography (there used to be “Ъ”, hard signs, after the consonants, which were not read).

2 Likes

очень красивая - spasibo

Justin

1 Like

I will not remember, and I am shamed that it is a person from a far off land who can do this, not a Brit or an Irish person!!!

Doesn’t my love for all things Celtic make me a tiny bit less of a foreigner, though?:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wrth gwrs! You are an honorary Celt and not foreign at all! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you:) I’ll save a screencap of this sentence, so it will cheer me up if I’m out of sorts!:slight_smile:

2 Likes

And you speak Italian - so you are my neighbour. So how can you possibly be a foreigner. And believe it or not there is a Celtic settlement just a walk away along the Alta Via di Liguria

Justin

1 Like

Wow, is there? Well, Romans and Celts have quite a lot of common history:)
Anyway, I just thought today that I have a flag of Cymru, I can speak the language a bit and I can sing one or two folk songs, so with all the three elements of a nation - language, symbolism and culture - present, I can officially open a Welsh settlement here in Belarus. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

You’re not a foreigner in any way - you’re an SSiWer and a valuable and welcome member of our community - where you happen to live and what other languages you happen to speak are entirely irrelevant (although very interesting!) :sunny: :star: :star2:

4 Likes

Thank you, Aran!::slight_smile: You’re very very kind - well, as you and other people here always are:)

1 Like

To @aran and @stella Grovel!! I did not mean to insult Stella. I was trying to point out to those of us born in Britain and Ireland how little we know of our own heritage!! It is even worse in my case, as I live in an area where lessons in Scottish Gaelic (pronounced Gallic) are easily available, but I was never tempted, seeing it as having come from Ireland (true) and so foreign to me,sorry!!
Now if I cold learn Pictish… but I would say modern Cymraeg is its direct descendent, so I have/am!!

2 Likes