A long and boring post with lots of questions + looking for a skype partner

The only slight problem being that I don’t have a few months…:wink:

Bootcamp starts a week tomorrow - and then after Bootcamp is over, I have three weeks until I’ll be off to San Giacomo…

But if I can get enough to play around with and to show willing, that’ll be great. :sunny:

1 Like

Well, as I said, you would be understood now, I’m perfectly sure of it - and the Italians I know don’t mind a bit of a Spanish accent:)

2 Likes

@aran, in the dim and distant past, I visited Venice, Rome, Florence and Milan. Mostly I was with an Anglo-Aussie and a real Aussie! I was amazed how brilliant Italians are at understanding bad Italian. I never had proper lessons, just a bit of “teach yourself” and a lot of listening! If I could get by with what I knew, you will be seen as totally fluent!! I went back to Venice for a scientific meeting, staying at a very small, non-touristy hotel and commuting by water bus(bliss)! Again, amazed by ability to communicate!
p.s. Total confusion over red juice which arrived when I expected orange! I was assured it was orange. It turned out to be the juice of blood oranges!!!

Which city?

1 Like

Modena:) Almost the centre of Italy. I’ve always preferred the South (and the Southerners :)) though. Siciliano, Napoletano and Pugliese are just as lovely as the official language, if not better.

I agree:)

1 Like

Yes but if you want to see real genius at work, then watch a hot-blooded Italian start the courtship process.

You probably left a many broken hearts behind in Venice, Rome, Florence and Milan :wink:

Justin

Well if you consider that much of the language and culture can be mastered through colourful gesticulations - then my bet is that you are already 50% of the way there.

Then with frequent use of va bene, ciao bella, bacio, buongiorno, ci vediamo, vino, pasta, formaggio, proscuitto, tartufi and funghi you probably have about 30% of the other most important occasions covered.

So after practicing these words and gesticulations in front of the mirror you will be already verging on 80% mastery of the Italian language and culture - especially if you also watch “A Fish Called Wanda”.

Now there are a few other indispensable words like bunga-bunga and perhaps 4,000 others to take you to 95% mastery but from the time you first mention vino you will probably forget that you need the rest :wink:

Justin

1 Like

When I first came to Italy (I was 14) I only knew one expression “Che bello!” Now, I’m not saying it’s a bad expression, you can survive on this alone (maybe adding “Dov’e il bagno” and “Ho fame” too, just to be sure) for a long time - with a bit of luck, you can even get married knowing just this one sentence. But if you abuse of it as I did, it can get you into trouble. We were driving from the airport with my mother and step-father (he’s Italian), and I, feeling that, as a guest, I need to entertain my hosts with some small talk, but knowing just this one sentence, squealed happily at every turn: “Ma che bello!” Flowers were “bello”, fields were “bello”, everything was “bello”. When we were passing a very nice building with a long metal fence, I repeated my “Che bello” with so much enthusiasm, that mom turned to me, looked at me in an odd way and said “Guarda che e un cimitero” (Look, it’s a cemetary).

5 Likes

Yah, except they don’t like each-others too much (according to what I’ve seen in Spain) - hehe

Thanks to Stella, I’m intending to rely principally on ‘Ho domenticato la buona parte del mio italiano’…:wink:

2 Likes

I’ve always loved this sentence because it kind of implies you used to be incredibly proficient in it:) I use it all the time with my French!

1 Like

Well, diolch for the compliment, but I did find the men incredibly determined chatters-up! Except in Venice. When I finally got chatted up there, he turned out to be a Roman!! In comparison with most Italians the French are positively shy!!! I actually found Venice really relaxing!
To @seren and @aran I am forever saying “Dwi’n wedi cofio fy Nghymraeg imi!”

1 Like

You might want to switch that to ‘Dwi wedi anghofio fy Nghymraeg’… :sunny:

Oh, @aran, I am literally laughing out load!! Of all the typos in the world!! How did I manage that??? And I didn’t notice!! I can’t edit it now, as it wouldn’t be fair to others!!
Let it stand as an object lesson!!

2 Likes