A frivolous question for the festive season

That’s a very good point Claudia. I had never thought of those phrases as prayers, but you are quite right. I wasn’t trying to suggest they were swearing, but I do take your point that they are actually positive. And yes, maybe when people use expletives, they aren’t always expressions of anger, but cries for help!

2 Likes

I only mutter things in my head in English, only the Welsh comes out loud. Very occasionally I curse Aran’s fiendish sentences in Welsh but I do that out loud (because I feel this ok for some reason)·

3 Likes

Ah, now where can I source some Welsh swear words?

I often wonder, on those long rather odd sentences, when you would ever have a reason to use such a sentence?!

2 Likes

Sionned, the last time I had an outburst like this, my granddaughter had just been rescued from drowning in a swimming pool.

Sorry Sionned - just realised you were talking about ssiw -of course! Tried to edit comment but the edit doesn’t seem to have registered. And I agree with you.

…and my like/heart was because I wondered if you were teasing us with your lengthy English sentences, a bit like this one, although someone will tell me that it isn’t really a sentence because it starts with “…and” :wink: I must try that in Welsh. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh. Damn.

Sorry, I mean drat.

I have engaged in that wishful kind of imagination myself from time to time. I’ll say no more - I don’t want to spoil the experience for you… :wink:

3 Likes

Yeah, right? I didn’t dare to say something like this, but now that you mention it…so true, Aran and Iestyn’s voices do really sound velvety soft, like an ‘audio - hug’ and one can hear, or rather feel their love for Welsh.

2 Likes

These loooooooong sentence could be there to train our working memory, I reckon. Back to work, it’s so, so bloody damn boring…

Ahem…I was in fact talking about the late 1950s and early 1960s. :blush:

2 Likes

Well, see what happens when I just blurt out what’s on my mind without thinking! :joy::joy::joy::joy: No, honestly, you have these ‘young vibes’, and they had me say this!

1 Like

Some day I’ll tell you about that picture that I have hidden away, in my attic… :wink:

1 Like

I have mentioned elsewhere that I got ‘proper’ riding lessons at a ‘proper’ riding school because my mother wanted to take me away from the influence of the local Horse Racing Stables! And I had innocently taken her to watch the start of a race. When she exclaimed at the language of the jockeys, innocently, I said, “Oh, they all talk like that!” I had known not to say such words at home, but had not thought just hearing them would so shock my mother! Year? About 1953!

They have come to be my favourite bit of the challenges - they open up a load of possibilities! Just knowing that you can attempt it means you must be thinking and speaking at the same time, and if you’ve started to get that knack, you can go on and on and on… :grin:

6 Likes

I hadn’t thought of it like that … it makes me feel just a bit more positive, as opposed to just positively frustrated!!

2 Likes

Its usually on the really long, complicated semtences, when my responses are more along the lines of “Aaarrgghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh”

Or on a good day, I’ll be just half way through a sentence by the time Catrin starts :confused:

1 Like

That’s doing great! :slight_smile: :star2:

1 Like

Absolutely - This is the magic of SSiW/SSiX. There is something of it in the Michel Thomas method, but SSi does it better. (I know Aran hates SSi being compared with Michel Thomas though… :blush: ).

2 Likes

No, I don’t hate it, I just think it’s only really true for the ‘prompt->space->response’ part of the method, which is a fairly common classroom/course thing (cf Pimsleur)… :slight_smile:

1 Like