A frivolous question for the festive season

Ok, so am I the only one to talk back to (in my case) Aran and Catrin? I don’t mean the kind of talking you do as you follow the course. I mean the other stuff. The stuff like ‘ah, trying to catch me out are you? I’m ahead of you today’. Or ‘Ffs, I couldn’t say it in ENGLISH that quickly’, or ‘enough already, I’m knackered’, ‘veeth, beeth, vuvudee, navuthav, bloody hell can’t we just say mynd?’ And on a good session ‘yesssss, gotcha!!’ I’ll leave it with you.

6 Likes

Yes, but mainly rude words, more often directed to myself!

2 Likes

Very. Much. Not.

From children to all sorts of other relatives, and plenty of learners - we’re used to it by now…:wink:

2 Likes

Oh yes that too! “Come on you KNOW this, you did it 2 minutes ago!”

If I had no self-control, I don’t know how many mobile devices I would have thrown through the window by now, accompanied by pure, unadulterated Saisneg…:slight_smile:

4 Likes

“You have GOT to be kidding me” is a fairly common phrase, after a particularly long phrase to be translated.

6 Likes

Maniacal laughter often precedes my sentences. Fortunately the same doesn’t happen when I speak in the ‘wild’ :grinning:

5 Likes

Swearing at Aran face to face is much more fun though. :wink:

Which, after he has sworn in front of my first child a few times, I see as my right to do so. :smile:

3 Likes

He’s bloody old enough to bloody handle it by now.

6 Likes

He may be bloody old enough to bloody handle it but he’s not bloody old enough for me to bloody handle it yet. :innocent:

4 Likes

Actually I have to confess that sometimes Aran sounds like Oliver Postage who was the voice for Ivor the Engine in my 1960’s childhood. Very soft and soothing, a storyteller’s voice. And then I imagine Aran looking like Matthew Rhys (Welsh speaking actor of considerable handsomeness) and the whole experience of Level 1 becomes tinged with a warm glow.

1 Like

I say this too! If I feel like pretending I’m British, it might come out as “You’ve bloody well got to be kidding!” (I wouldn’t normally use such language on the forum, but seeing as Aran and Geraint are getting into it… :joy: )

And I often say “Really?!” (cue incredulous tone of voice) for those long sentences, too :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you wanted to add some extra UK sauce (HP sauce?), you could do it in a Michael Caine accent, as in “you were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!” (“The Italian Job”, original version).

1 Like

That begs a question. I have a fairly strong London accent. Do fluent Welsh speakers lose their English or Scottish regional accents? I know we try and get our pronunciation right, but can Welsh ears still detect Scouse, Geordie, Cockney etc?

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy: Ah, you know, when we parents don’t look and listen, our kids outswear us BIG time, believe me! My sons both are gamers and I’ve learned nearly all of my wonderfully badass English swear words from listening to them ‘talking’ with their teammates online…

2 Likes

Odd, well, it’s me that’s odd. Because when in extremis, I lapse into Cymraeg. It seems to be a more passionate language! So, “O Duw Mawr!”, “Diolch yn fawr iawn!” (sarcastically). “Yn wir?” or just, “Beth?”

2 Likes

I grew up in a fairly devout household and led a fairly sheltered life, but even so, sans tv, sans internet, I knew at least a couple of 4 letter words by the age of 10 or 11. ( not used at home I hasten to add).

1 Like

It’s funny how we revert to something in extremis. I’m London Irish, with a Catholic background, and when faced with an emotionally charged situation (not ssiw related!) come out with ‘Holy Mother of God’, ‘Jesus Mary and Joseph’ and stuff I never use in everyday speech!

2 Likes

It’s wonderful that you had a fairly sheltered childhood and youth, I love to hear that something like this does still exist. I can imagine you picked up these infamous 4 letter words from you friends in school and outside. :wink: Didn’t they appeal to you just because they were in a way ‘forbidden’? I could swear like a sailor even as a little girl and I must admit that I quite enjoyed the attention I received from the other kids because of it…the attention from these kids parents wasn’t always approving, though, to say the least :joy::joy:

In emotionally charged situation you maybe instinctively call out to Jesus, Mary and Joseph for support, strength and wisdom, in order to deal with the situation? It’s very interesting, some people do express their emotions in a positive way, just like you - I mean, ‘Holy Mother of God’ and ‘Jesus Mary and Joseph’ sound like quick prayers sent to heaven for me, and not like swear words at all!

I tend to use bad words to express strong emotions, but maybe deep down, I wish for heavenly support, too, but want to appear like a badass that doesn’t need any help…

1 Like