A 'Foreign' thread (split from Reasons to Learn Welsh)

Hello Lorna, I think it would help to foster an interest in other countries, languages and cultures if people had their DNA tested to see where their ancestors came from.

I know I’m 2/16th German - not 1/8, because TWO of my paternal grandmother’s grandparents were German - or at least that’s the story I’ve heard. I was never able to verify this, but I hope it’s true. The story is that they were part of a travelling fair and decided to stay here when it went back.

My mother’s maiden name was Wales, which strongly suggests that I’ve got some Welsh ancestry as well.

Warrington was a Roman settlement, and people from all over the Empire came over here. So there’s a chance I’ve got some interesting connections there as well.

1 Like

In my job as a court usher, I get to talk to interpreters about where they come from and their languages. It’s really interesting, and I usually ask them what “goodbye” is when they’re leaving. I should start writing it all down so I don’t have to keep asking!

2 Likes

The widespread speaking of English - both as a first and second language - must be a factor in the poor take up of languages in England. You’re absolutely right: it’s fun to learn another language. Those who can’t understand why you’d want to try your hand at Welsh may see things in transactional terns i.e. if I learn this, what will it do for me?

If I won the Lottery, I go on all sorts of educational courses just for the fun of it.

3 Likes

Besides from languages I’d learn CGI and animation - all multimedia to the proffessional levels just for fun of it and then I’d buy myself real (computer) beast with 8 or 16 chore processors and powerful graphic card for fast rendering proccession. I love to make animations and rendered 3D photos just for fun of it but I’m way to much of an amateur in this though. :slight_smile:

Hi David! It took me a while to register and think about what you said about having one’s DNA tested. I know there was an interesting lecture on a Public Records Office of Northern Ireland YouTube video which was very definite in its promotion of testing. I’ll have to look out a link to that…

I have to admit that, since I am aware there has been quite a lot of adoption (familial, of individuals, and “cultural” via migration) in my extended family even within the three or four generations I know something of, I am a little wary of the “fine print” and other sorts of disclaimers (philosophical and sociological) that are or ought to be on the DNA testing kits and projects that are around.

This article and others by Georgina Lawton and her co-author, and the discussions in Comments that appear online with this DNA testing story gave me plenty to think about. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/aug/11/question-ancestry-does-dna-testing-really-understand-race?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other Thanks for giving me the stimulus to get reading, @david-ball-1!

Culture, ancestry and heritage are fascinating things. World citizenry is our inescapable collective heritage, along with the planet and its health, for which we share responsibility. I wonder if being close to and knowledgeable about a single physical locality and centuries of culture cultivated there can, and should be an important element in growing up for many or most children. Nomadic lifestyles and experiences of being refugees and “pioneers” and incomers and migrants have just as long a history for humanity, as great an influence on the shape of our artistic and economic activities, outlooks and expectations.

3 Likes

World citizenry is our inescapable collective heritage, along with the planet and its health, for which we share responsibility. …as great an influence on the shape of our artistic and economic activities, outlooks and expectations.

Beautifully expressed - I couldn’t agree more. :smile:

2 Likes

Yeah but I did not make it to Coventry this evening… :(.
Sadly, I am not always a good citizen, world or even own backyard.

Yeah but I did not make it to Coventry this evening

?? Sorry, you’ve lost me there :confused:

Been struggling to include city centres in the “world” of which I might be a citizen. I found a quote from a certain T. May who apparently said that anyone thinking themselves a world citizen was a not a citizen anywhere, or was a citizen nowhere, or some such. A certain M. Thatcher apparently never said there was no such thing as society, but when I fail to support an SSiW group, or any other I want to see prosper, then somewhere a fairy or a wood or water spirit dies… :frowning:

1 Like

Hello Lorna,

I can imagine that a white supremacist would be mortified - and then, hopefully - philosophical if his or her DNA analysis revealed some African ancestry. For me, I’d be intrigued right from the start. Why would I not be? I am who I am because of each and every one of my ancestors.

Wherever they came from, whatever language or religion or heritage or culture they came from, their existence meant that I exist. If but one of my ancestors had died as a baby, I would not be here. I am their progeny.

1 Like

6 posts were split to a new topic: Thread split while under discussion

I deliver all over the place and meet people who speak many different languages and have learnt “Thank you” in about 22 so far. The latest was Punjabi and Hindi. It’s actually great fun!!

4 Likes

I’m just reading an excellent Travel book called “Land of the Dawn-Lit Mountains” by Antonia Bolinbroke-Kent. She is traveling in Arunachal Pradesh in Northern India where many of the tribes she encounters have no word for “goodbye”. They just say “I’m going now”. I like that - it reminds me of Aberdeenshire, where you would often hear “Weel, that’s me awa’” :grinning:

3 Likes

People like you should be in charge of the world, Tatjana. Da iawn.