A course of interest?

Hi all!
A member of CACEN brought this course to our attention and I have her permission to produce her post about it, as I’m hope it will be of interest to someone in the wider SSiW family as well.
Here’s Alison’s post:-
Annwyl pawb,

I thought some people might be interested in a weekend course being run by a friend of my son, details of which are below. I have heard Harriet talk about the history of the harp, and play -she is brilliant. I am hoping to go, and also hoping that there will be enough Welsh speakers there so I can practice my Welsh - if not, I can always chat to Harriet!

A weekend course about Welsh language and literature from earliest times to the present day. There will also be a harp concert and lecture about the history of Welsh music.

Do you feel that you don’t have time or inclination to learn Welsh properly, but you want to learn more about the language – about how it compares with other European languages, what’s different about it, what’s special about its literature? Maybe you’ve moved to Wales? Or maybe you’re already a Welsh speaker but you want to understand the history of the Welsh language from earliest times to the present day?

Harriet Earis has a degree in “Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic Studies” from Cambridge where she studied Old and Middle Welsh along with all the other Celtic languages. She has an infectious enthusiasm for Welsh language, music and literature and the history of words and languages. She is also an internationally-renowned harpist.

The whole weekend costs just £205 (£185 concessions) and runs Fri evening to Sunday lunchtime with accomodation and food in the beautiful Snowdonia Study Centre of Plas Tan y Bwlch. For the full programme and timetable click here:
http://www.eryri-npa.gov.uk/study-centre/public-courses/course-details/history-and-archaeology/about-welsh

The course will be through the medium of English but will look at Welsh words and literature in the original and in translation. It will be a fun and practical guide to the language and its poetry and prose. It would be suitable for those with no previous knowledge of Welsh but also aims to give insights to Welsh speakers of any level.It will be of interest to anyone who loves words and languages and who wants to understand how their own and other languages have developed…

Hwyl

Alison

I’m going and hope to meet fellow SSiWers as well!

3 Likes

Just completed the booking form, now waiting an email and instructions on how to pay.

1 Like

Just applied myself. Sounds like an interesting course. Slightly concerned they may take up to ten days to reply. Anyway, hope to see you there.
Hwyl!
Alan

1 Like

Alan - look forward to meeting you! I live in Portsmouth and will leave fairly early to make a day of travelling along the best road in the world:- the A470. Will probably stop for lunch near Llanfair Ym Muallt (Builth Wells). Near tends to be quite elastic in my world :wink:
Are you living somewhere close to Porthmadog?
PS just read your post about where you live… Opposite direction you’re coming from then. See you there!