[6 month course] - I listened to my '3 stories' recording, and here's how I feel now

I sound like someone learning Welsh! Which is precisely what I want at this point :grinning: I too listened to all of my recordings in reverse chronological order. I am very pleased with my progression. Diolch yn fawr iawn. :grin:
Thereā€™s a sweetness to my first hesitant recording of ā€˜dysguā€™.
And my progress in 'live ā€™ slack chats is very exciting too.

1 Like

Well DONE! Itā€™s so, so valuable to have recordings you can listen back to - pretty much the only reliable way to get a really clear insight into how far youā€™ve comeā€¦ :slight_smile: :star2:

1 Like

Iā€™ve just listened to my 3 short stories :blush:
Itā€™s surreal listening to yourself speak, but in Welsh even stranger, but in a good way.
Iā€™m feeling more Welsh if that makes sense?
Like the missing piece of my Welshness is being re-placed bit by bit: :slight_smile:
Iā€™m feeling kinda proud !
Iā€™m also very pleased with myself, on how much Cymraeg I had retained in my pea of a brain, to actually compose not one, but 3 little stories.
Not sure what others would make of them, Iā€™m sure there are plenty of mistakes in there, but itā€™s a good piece to look back on when Iā€™ve made more progress.
Diolch pawb

6 Likes

And that you most CERTAINLY shouldā€¦ :slight_smile: :star: :star2:

1 Like

I always think itā€™s weird hearing my own voice! Despite this, Iā€™m proud of myself for remembering them and think I sound quite professional!!

2 Likes

Superb - well done you! :star2:

I guess the next step is speaking Welsh confidently outside of the learning practices and not forgetting everything when I find myself unexpectedly being spoken to in Welsh!

1 Like

Itā€™s all about repeated exposure and getting used to the challengeā€¦ youā€™ll get there, if you just keep goingā€¦ :slight_smile:

Diolch :slight_smile:

1 Like

Souncloud would not work so recorded the stories on my phone. Quite excruciating listening to my own voice and silly mistakes but - wow - i was speaking coherent Welsh!

1 Like

Huge congratulations, thatā€™s a heck of a result! Yes, your own voice always sounds wrong at first, but donā€™t worry about that - speaking Welsh is the important thingā€¦ :slight_smile: :star2:

1 Like

It was very strange listening to my recording! I was surprised with how confident I sound on it and thought it sounded better than I remembered! There were a few stumbles but I was very pleased!

2 Likes

I can hear there are some sentences Iā€™m really confident with and flow really well! And I still have a good go at the ones that are a little harder! :grin::grin::grin::grin:

1 Like

Oh dear, not very crisp and clear, but that is my Northern accent as much as anything. My local Welsh are either in lockdown or working in key roles with no time to meet, and neither do I (teaching). I need to sharpen up both confidence and diction.

1 Like

That sounds as though youā€™re probably being a bit hard on yourself, John - but do get along to Welsh Speaking Practice and youā€™ll find plenty of people eager to have 1-on-1 online practice sessions, which is where almost all the real gains will be for you from now on :slight_smile:

Cheers! thanks for the boost, and will take the advice.
Itā€™ll all get sorted once I have time, but COVID is chewing up school (prep) and community (support for isolators and those in poverty), and my nearest native speaker, who runs a care agency a couple of miles away, is equally under the cosh.

1 Like

Yeah, these are tough old times, and NOT ideal for learning of any kind, despite all the stuff in the media about this ā€˜chanceā€™ to do eight million different brilliant things - stress is a VERY BAD ingredient for learning, so cut yourself all the slack you need, itā€™s the right thing to doā€¦ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Shmae, Iā€™m a six minuter and I have been asked to record and listen back to three short stories. Iā€™m at level 2 and starting challenge 6 this week.
I had no Welsh at the beginning of Lockdown in April and Dw iā€™n synnu at faint dw i wedi dysgu llawer yn barodšŸ˜³
Some of my sentences have the wrong emphasis on my recording and are slow but Iā€™m very proud of myselfšŸ˜Š

6 Likes

@aran this was where the link brought me so Maeā€™d ddrwg da fi if its the wrong place

1 Like

Maeā€™n