15th October: Shwmae Sumae 2014

You may have already seen the message from Jon Thomas about the Shwmae Day Fair being held in Pontypridd. Well, that’s not the only place! There are events all over the place and a lot of them are being posted on the Shwmae Sumae Facebook page.

Here are some of the details - all taking place on 15th October:

10.30 to 11am: Crescent Centre, Newtown, Powys - come for a cuppa and a chat in Welsh. Organised by LearnWelshinMidWales

Students at Bangor University have made a video to celebrate and you will be offered a 10% discount on tea or coffee in any university café if you greet the staff in Welsh. Between 11 and 12, there will be a Welsh taster session on offer for students who would like to give Welsh a go in the Student Union Meeting Room.

There will be a stand in Llanbed (Lampeter) between 10-12 thanks to the Town Council, with Anne Morgan a Dinah Jones distributing a handy Welsh phrase card to encourage people to use their Welsh.

And there will be events in Caerfyrddin, Sir Benfro and lot of others. If you use Facebook, keep an eye on https://www.facebook.com/events/217640221775575/permalink/295638847309045/ for all the details.

And here’s the information from Caerfyrddin:

10% discount on 15th for those who greet staff with “Shwmae” in Caffi Iechyd Da, Caerfyrddin

Ideas on what to do from last year http://www.shwmae.org/?lang=en

I imagine there’ll be something happening in Aberystwyth University as well - there was last year, at least.

As part of the day’s celebrations there will be a Drop-In session at Glangwili Hospital Canteen between 1-3 in order for those who are interested in learning Welsh to collect useful information. There will also be a grand raffle with a signed rugby ball by Shane Williams up for grabs.

Theatr Felinfach will be giving a free presentation by Cen Llwyd at 7.30 in the evening on the life and work of D. Jacob Davies (1916-1974) with additional activities on Saturday 18th in the morning.

Sir Benfro are giving out awards as part of their Shwmae celebrations. You can meet the candidates and hear what they have to say at this YouTube site https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCISsPx1Fm8SG53Nqa99zOhw

Coleg Cenedlaethol is teaming up with people on the Heath hospital campus to celebrate Shwmae Sumae Day and look at ways they can encourage more Welsh learning among medical staff and students there

http://blogs.cardiff.ac.uk/mediccymraeg/tag/shwmae-sumae/

And here are some more events:

Dolgellau Free cake for all who start their conversation in Welsh with the staff of Caffi T.H. Roberts, Dolgellau on Oct 15th. They especially recommend their lemon meringue!!

Another in Dolgellau Homemade soup from Caffi y Sosban for all who start their conversation in Welsh (Here’s a thought - Caffi y Sosban first, then Caffi T.H.Roberts for afters :wink: )

Llancaiach Fawr Manor From 10am to 1pm on 15th October there will be information stalls, a performance by the Bro Allta Children’s Choir, Welsh taster sessions, fun and activities for the children, and more …

Prifysgol Aberystwyth 10% off if you ask for coffee or tea in Welsh in lots of the caffis, live music and performances, interactive Welsh lessons on Bay Radio AND they’re after people to join in with a Nantgarw Dance, a Welsh folk dance, outside the Arts Centre. They want to break the world record for the most number of people.

1 Like

Bangor Sesiwn Amser @TwfCymru – Learn Welsh with your baby thru story& song Bangor Library 1pm 15/10 on Shwmaesumae Day http://on.fb.me/1ncCLBv

1 Like

Drenewydd / Newtown Menter Maldwyn are supporting Shwmae Sumae Day with a cuppa and a chat, 10.30 to 11.30 in Capel y Cilgant, Drenewydd. A warm welcome for Welsh learners and fluent Welsh speakers to come together to chat, tell a joke and sing!

Caerfyrddin There will be free cakes available in Stryd y Brenin on the 15th!! (Not sure if people will be just walking about handing them out. Get along to Caerfyrddin and find out!)

1 Like

Rhondda Cynon Taf Menter Iaith RCT is intending to invite the public into their office for cake and a cuppa. They say it’s a good chance for you to find out about the use of Welsh in the area and they’re planning to be out and about in Pontypridd dragging people in!

Caerfyrddin The indoor market is joining in with style and there will be lots of events:
12.15 - 12.45 Stories for children with 2-5 yrs old with Llio Silyn
12.45 - 1.15 Acoustic set by Nia Emanuel
1.15 - 1.45 Colouring competition (a chance to win books from Siop y Pentan) plus tasting some of the delicacies of the market
1.45 - 2.15 More stories for children with Llio Silyn
2.15 - 2.45 Colouring competition (a chance to win books from Siop y Pentan) plus tasting some of the delicacies of the market
2.45 - 3.30 A learning Welsh workshop
3.30 - 4.30 Lowri Evans

Casnewydd Menter Iaith Casnewydd will be holding 2 stalls - one in the Council Offices to encourage staff to greet people with “Shwmae” both face-to-face and on the phone, and another stall in Sainsburys to speak with customers and encourage the use of Welsh.

Caerfyrddin Caffi Pethau Bychain, Stryd y Brenin is the place to get the free cake if you’re there between 10.45 and 11.45

Llanelli There will be a stand in the Canolfan Elli from 10 to 12

Sancler is holding a Bore Coffi in Caffi Annie, Canolfan Grefftau, 10.30 to 11.30

Bangor there will be a Welsh Taster session organised by the local Cymraeg i Oedolion in the Belle Vue Tafarn between 11 and 12 o’clock, university staff who have succeeded in learning Welsh will be presented with certificates between 1 and 2pm, and there will be a quiz for Welsh learners and speakers in the Harp (Bangor Uchaf) in the evening.

Pwllheli Coleg Llandrillo Menai has organised a session of games and conversation in the Meirion Dwyfor building between 4.30 and 6pm. AND the local businesses are really getting into the spirit putting up posters to help English speakers learn a little Welsh to use on the day!

1 Like

SHW’MAE? SHWD MAE? SU MAE? SUT MAE? S’ MAE? SHWD YCH I? SUT DYCH I? SUT WYT I?.. :sunny:

3 Likes

I heard your message on Radio Cymru this morning Kim, wishing Shwmae Sumae to all those learning with SaySomethinginWelsh. Da iawn ti!!

1 Like

I had to laugh when, Dylan described me as a Woman of Kent. I’ll put mister in front of my name next time. :blush:

3 Likes

:laughing: I didn’t notice that Kim. I was only half listening but heard the SaySomethinginWelsh and realised it was you that sent it in.